Tuesday, December 8, 2015

BEATEN TO DEATH - Unplugged


Beaten to Death - Unplugged (2015, Mas-Kina)

Back in my college years I had a huge grindcore kick and I spined bands like Brutal Truth, Spazz, Soilent Green, Anal Cunt, Agoraphobic Nosebleed, Swallowing Shit, Pig Destroyer, Rotten Sound, and Nasum. When Mieszko Talarczyk, Nasum frontman died in the infamous Thailand tsunamis back in 2004, my interest kind of slowed down a bit. Mainly because Nasum was the best grindcore band of the moment and the genre was getting a bit tired on me.


When I read on Angry Metal Guy that Beaten to Death was the best grindcore band since Nasum I was immediately eager to discover this band. Well, it met expectations with an iconoclastic yet normal length of twenty minutes and no songs longer than a minute and a half, Unplugged is definitely not the kind of unplugged album for the mainstream ears. And this is quite alright. In fact this is more than this, it is excellent. Every element of a great grindcore release is present, mockery of other bands with the overlong title of Papyrus Containing the Spell to Summon the Breath of Life Enshrined in the Collected Scrolls of Sheryl Crow that is a pun at brutal death metallers of Nile. Also, funny titles like Don’t You Dare To Call Us Heavy Metal.

It is everything I want in a grindcore album, the perfect length for the genre and a solid entry for the year.

8.8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...